UN officials have called for urgent action to prevent a catastrophe in the Syrian city of Aleppo where 275,000 are in dire need of food and water.

The organisation’s top aid official Stephen O’Brien says plans are in place to quickly send 70 trucks loaded with humanitarian aid to the east of the city if all sides agree on a truce.

But he said they are being prevented from moving by world powers’ inability to agree on a agree on a temporary ceasefire which would allow the aid through.

He was speaking after footage emerged last week five-year-old boy Omran Daqneesh covered in dust and blood after his home was bombed during fighting in Aleppo.

Mr O’Brien said: ‘This callous carnage that is Syria has long since moved from the cynical to the sinful.

‘In Aleppo, we risk seeing a humanitarian catastrophe unparalleled in the over five years of bloodshed and carnage in the Syrian conflict.’

Russia and the US have been discussing the possibility of a supply corridor, but the UN says it would not be safe unless agreement can be reached with all sides in the conflict, which includes all the allies of Syria, all the militant and rebel groups involved and all their allies.

His call for action was echoed by the special adviser to the UN’s special envoy to Syria Jan Egeland, who told Sky News the situation in Aleppo was ‘outrageous’.

He said: ‘I haven’t seen this amount of suffering since the genocides of the 1990s. This is unheard of.

‘When I was there myself in 2013, I saw how whole apartment blocks were levelled to the ground. Parents digging out their babies with their bare hands. It was horrific.

‘Since that time, it’s gotten worse every single month.

‘We are not even able to provide relief to the population that is living in this crossfire. You could see starvation if we don’t get in supplies – we are talking hundreds of thousands of people.’

He said what was needed was for all the powers involved in diplomacy and combat to get together and agree a temporary ceasefire so aid can get through.

Mr Egeland added: ‘The Russians, the Americans, the Saudis, the Iranians, the Turks, all of those who are there, with great interests will now meet and save the population of Aleppo. We have to push for the population of Aleppo to be saved.’

The issue was also discussed at a meeting of three European leaders, France’s Francois Hollande, Germany’s Angela Merkel and Italy’s Matteo Renzi on Monday.

Mr Hollande said the international community would be left ashamed if nothing was done to stop the unfolding humanitarian crisis in Aleppo.

The UN calls came as Russia’s military said its aircraft would not be using an Iranian air base it had been operating from in recent days to conduct strikes in Syria as it had completed its tasks.

https://i1.wp.com/www.people24x7.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/unn4.jpeg?fit=1024%2C636https://i1.wp.com/www.people24x7.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/unn4.jpeg?resize=150%2C150Staff ReporterFEATURED POSTSfeatured
UN officials have called for urgent action to prevent a catastrophe in the Syrian city of Aleppo where 275,000 are in dire need of food and water. The organisation's top aid official Stephen O'Brien says plans are in place to quickly send 70 trucks loaded with humanitarian aid to the...