Man charged over crash that killed 2 women
A Lebanese national accused of causing a Melbourne crash that killed two women allegedly had false number plates on his car and reached speeds of 130km/h.
Mohamad Hassan, 20, is charged with two counts each of culpable driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death over the crash that killed Bozica Nikolic and Subha Deumic in Attwood on Sunday night.
Hassan applied for bail in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
Detective Senior Constable Alex Osmelak opposed the application, alleging Hassan had been driving a 1999 Mercedes Benz with number plates from his uncle’s Nissan Triton.
The detective said dashcam footage showed the Mercedes speeding past another car before the crash, and afterwards the speedometer in the Mercedes was frozen at 130km/h.
The officer told the court Hassan was given a speeding ticket in April.
Hassan’s Lebanese passport has expired and there are concerns he could leave Australia if granted bail, Det Sen Const Osmelak said.
The court was told Hassan came to Australia about a year ago from Lebanon on a provisional visa with his mother and six siblings to be reunited with their father.
He works as a labourer for his uncle’s demolition company, Det Sen Const Osmelak said.
Hassan’s lawyer said he was not a flight risk because all of his family is now in Australia.
The defence lawyer said there were no applications for a new passport, and a family friend could pay a $20,000 surety.
He said his client was driving on an international licence.
Magistrate Kay Robertson will decide on bail after 2pm.